7 REMEDIES FOR SWOLLEN FEET DURING PREGNANCY
Pregnancy can bring on many different changes to your body and brain. From pickle and ice cream cravings to morning sickness, everyone has a unique experience. But one common occurrence for pregnant women is swollen feet and ankles or “edema.” This can be an uncomfortable experience and can interfere with life’s daily activities. Learn about some natural remedies to help reduce swollen feet and ankles while pregnant.
- Epsom bath water soak. Draw a warm bath for a relaxing end to your day.
- Elevation. Sit back in a comfortable chair and prop up your feet to reduce swelling.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Shoes with good arch support or orthotic inserts will help you step through the day. A good pair of shoes will help with any pain you may be experiencing in your legs and feet.
- Perform yoga or light exercise. Get your blood pumping and increase your circulation.
- Drink plenty of water. This will help you stay hydrated and reduce your sodium intake. Something as simple as drinking enough water can help reduce swelling in pregnant women and also help with other unwanted symptoms.
- Compression. Adding compression can help remove excess fluids that cause swelling. Try wearing compression socks if you are experiencing fluid retention.
- Ice your feet. According to podiatrist Dr. Jackie Sutera, a cold application can reduce swelling and pain.
Since swelling means less wiggle room, it may be time to buy a different size shoe. If you are experiencing swollen ankles and feet, consider switching over to shoes with built-in support. Read our tips for finding the perfect fit.