SPORTS INJURY PREVENTION
The Expert, Trevor Prior
Trevor Prior is a leading podiatric expert in the field of sports injuries, diabetic foot complications and surgery. He has worked extensively with elite athletes in a wide range of sports, including soccer, hockey and rugby. Prior currently resides in the UK.
Prior's Quick Tips for Sports Injury Prevention
There are a number of factors to consider when trying to avoid sports-related injuries, which all too frequently prohibit exercise and diminish overall bodily fitness.
- Ensure proper fit. In a vast majority of cases shoes are worn too small, which can cause a number of issues including intense pain and discomfort.
- Wear different shoes for different sports and activities. While some shoes have multiple uses, it is generally advisable to have shoes specific to each activity.
- Maintain appropriate conditioning. It is extremely important to maintain flexibility and ensure balanced strength to minimize the risk of injury.
- Pay attention to symptoms. The onset of symptoms such as the tightening of muscles during activity often signifies an increased risk of muscle strain. If a muscle starts to tighten then you should stop the activity, stretch and resume exercise lightly.
- Listen to your body. Understanding that there can be daily variations in your ability to exercise and respecting your limitations will significantly reduce the risk of injury.